[Roadsters] question on power to the rear end

Mark Sedlack msedlack at neo.rr.com
Tue Jan 26 13:16:43 MST 2010

I've got a Ford 8.8 LSD axle in our '66 with a 4.3 Chevy V6 engine that's
mildly built (approx 250HP). A 9" would be overkill and a bunch of extra,
uneeded weight IMHO.

There's a printable sketch on my website that has all the dimensions I gave
to a reputed local shop to rework a stock Mustang housing so it would bolt
right in to the Roadster.

I cut off all the mustang mounting brackets and did some grinding to give
him a smooth housing to cut down.   He did the narrowing, added new perches,
and set up the 3:73 ring & pinion for around $700 IIRC.  The used axle I got
for somewhere around $100.

Direct to the page on the axle is 5-18-03 Axle, Engine,Tranny
Or you can go to the main page and use the links in the left frame to peruse
to whole project.
http://www.mildevco.net/chevypowereddatsuns/

I had Moser shorten and respline my stock  Mustang axles.  I also had them
redrill for the lug bolt pattern, and press in new studs for $200 or so.
http://www.moserengineering.com/all-moser-order-forms-and-instructions.html

So I've got about $1000 in Ford 8.8LSD with all new bearing, clutches, truck
S-spring, etc. with me doing some of the grunt work.

Mark Sedlack
Clinton, OH
66 1600 http://www.mildevco.net/chevypowereddatsuns/
77 280Z http://www.mildevco.net/chevypowereddatsuns/