[Roadsters] U20: normal piston clearance

nmleeds at mindspring.com nmleeds at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 15 10:06:21 MST 2010

All,

Finally got my engine put back together and running (there was a major misstep along the way which is too embarrasing to relay here in any detail -- suffice to say I learned a valuable lesson about interference valves)

At any rate, I have a bit of a franken-car that was various people's project before finally coming to me.  Because of this history, I am always trying to figure out which parts are original, and which parts were someone's "clever" idea.

When I put my engine back together I noticed that at top dead center the pistons can completely flush with the top of the block.  I seem to remember that the engine I built for my old Toyota Tercel had a little more clearance -- but my memory could be wrong.  Is this spec?  And normal?  Or has someone put in longer rods?

Nathaniel Leeds
'69 u20, running !!!