[Roadsters] U20: normal piston clearance

Gary and Cindy Ault aultgc at att.net
Fri Jan 15 11:42:40 MST 2010

Nathaniel,

Normal for a stock U20.

Gary

________________________________
From: "nmleeds at mindspring.com" <nmleeds at mindspring.com>
To:
datsun-roadsters at autox.team.net
Sent: Fri, January 15, 2010 11:06:21 AM
Subject: [Roadsters] U20: normal piston clearance

All,

Finally got my engine
put back together and running (there was a major misstep along the way which
is too embarrasing to relay here in any detail -- suffice to say I learned a
valuable lesson about interference valves)

At any rate, I have a bit of a
franken-car that was various people's project before finally coming to me.
Because of this history, I am always trying to figure out which parts are
original, and which parts were someone's "clever" idea.

When I put my
engine back together I noticed that at top dead center the pistons can
completely flush with the top of the block.  I seem to remember that the
engine I built for my old Toyota Tercel had a little more clearance -- but my
memory could be wrong.  Is this spec?  And normal?  Or has someone put in
longer rods?

Nathaniel Leeds
'69 u20, running !!!
Support Team.Net