[Roadsters] Such A Wanker

Gary and Cindy Ault aultgc at att.net
Thu Jan 7 12:11:00 MST 2010

NSU was German.  Mazda, not Nissan, licensed the rotary technology from NSU,
improved the rotor seals, and licensed the improved seal design back to NSU.
There were some strange collaborations going on bewteen the Germand and the
Japanese in that time frame, though, so Nissan may have had something to do
with the NSU from a design standpoint.

I loved my '73 RX-2 sedan.  Drove it
almost 10 years and 90,000 miles without engine trouble.  Used a quart of oil
avery 350 miles towards end-of-ownership, as opposed to a quart every 1,200 -
1,500 which was the design value.  What a screamer.  When the vacuum-operated
secondaries on that big 4-barrel started to open around 3500 rpm, it just took
off.  When Mazda brought out the RX-7, they had de-tuned the engine to improve
fuel economy, so the RX-7 developed 100 HP compared to the 125 HP for the
RX-2s and RX-3s.

Back in 1973, I drove the RX-2 from Texas A&M (College
Station) to Houston at about 3 AM via a deserted FM (Farm to Market) road,
about 100 miles.  Did it in an hour, and we stopped for coffee.  Had the
speedometer on 115 all the way, and saw only one car going the opposite
direction.  The speedo read to 135, and I think it might have made it, but 120
was all I ever had the guts for.  Tires probably weren't rated for that speed,
but I was only 26, and therefore immortal, at the time.

Gary