[Roadsters] Oil pan gasket

Gordon Glasgow gsglasgow at comcast.net
Wed Sep 30 09:28:55 MDT 2009

3.5 ft/lb of torque on those.

One area that I learned to check to avoid leaks is the rear main bearing
cap. This forms part of the mating surface for the pan. If the block has
been align-bored during the rebuild process, this can cause that surface to
sit further up into the block than the rest of the pan mating surface,
especially if this has been done more than once. On one engine I had to cut
a short piece of thin gasket material to fill the gap in order to stop a
leak.

There's plenty of difference of opinion about gasket sealant yes/no, but I
like to use a *very thin* coating of Hylomar on any non-machined surfaces
like the oil pan, thermostat housing, etc.

Gordon Glasgow