[Roadsters] [Fwd: Re: distributors]

Durf & Sue Hyson dhyson at charter.net
Wed Jul 30 07:13:49 MDT 2008

-------- Original Message --------

The springs may not do much with the distributor at rest (not spinning)
When it spins centrifugal force makes the weights in the advance
mechanism swing out away from their resting position. The different
tension of the two springs controls the speed and amount the weights
move out until the dizzy is spinning at the speed that gives maximum
advance. This process of controlling the weights differently is what
gives you the spark advance "curve" that you hear about . If you still
have the dizzy out and the springs off try giving the shaft a sudden
spin with your fingers in the direction in normally rotates . You will
see how the weights fly out and how the springs would restrict them .
Tuning the advance curve with different weights and springs used to be a
real common thing.. It is usually done on a distributor testing machine
so you can see and record what you end up with for an advance curve. If
you run both light springs you are going to make the dizzy get to
maximum advance at a lower RPM. This should lead to the car feeling
snappier and the engine being quicker or more willing to rev . The thing
you must be extremely careful about is that all that advance may make
the engine ping and/or detonate. This will  , in a relatively short
period of time , kill the engine. I for one wouldn't try it but you
should consult some more regular roadster tuners as I am primarily an
L-series  , ex-roadster guy .  The characteristics of what advance curve
an engine is happy with vary from engine type to engine type . Even
within an engine family things like compression , carb/s , and cams will
make the best curve different . This is why I defer to the people who
fool with roadster engines all the time for advice on exactly what
springs you should run .

Thanks,
Durf