[Roadsters] oil gauge

Matthew A. Smith matthews517 at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 8 16:54:05 MDT 2008

Hi Katy,
Loreli has once had the same problem. Her issue was easy to see. It WAS a
leak in the oil line. Yes, a 70 2000 has a mechanical gauge and the line,
though it doesn't hold a lot of oil, is under pretty high pressure. It
doesn't take long for all your oil to be on the ground behind you. As I
recall, I got about 1 mile per quart. OUCH
It is fairly easy to verify if your problem is a pressure issue or a gauge
issue. Find that hose! It's right next to the base of the distributor,
coming out of the block. Locate the other end and disconnect it. Put a rag
under the end of the hose and fire the car up. Blip the throttle once, to
get full pressure and turn it off quick (unless you have a spare quart of
oil and don't mind puddles on the ground).  :-)
If you have a bunch of oil in your rag, it's likely the gauge. (or at least
between the hose and the gauge). Bend the hose, look for ANY cracks. If you
have them, replace it now. Don't wait. Frankly, I'd say if you don't know
how old it is, replace it anyway. Start checking the steel lines for a kink.
Believe me, this is the preferable of the two outcomes of the test, even
though that hose is expensive as hell. After I paid about $90 for my new
hose, I realized that's less than $2.50 per year of life out of the hose, so
I felt better about it.

You CAN snake out the steel line with some bicycle shifter cable, or the
sort. Keep in mind that if there's crud in there, you're going to push much
of the crud toward the gauge, but it's MUCH easier than disconnecting the
gauge and pushing it the other way. You'd basically be doing angioplasty on
your car. HAHAHAHAHA! Guess that would make you a CARdiologist. (sorry)

The other outcome likely requires an oil pump, oil pan gasket, and more new
oil (at the bare minimum).

Either way, find out BEFORE going for a drive again. PLEASE! Engines are
MUCH more expensive than either of the two other possibilities!
Matt Smith (Hixson, TN)
And Loreli (She's a Silver 70' Solex)