[Roadsters] oil gauge

Gary and Cindy Ault aultgc at att.net
Sun Jul 6 23:19:09 MDT 2008

Katy,

I think your oil pressure gauge is mechanical like the '68s and '69s, that
is, it operates directly off the engine oil gallery.  The tap is on the
right side of the engine, just above the joint with the oil pan.  A flexible
line runs from the tap to a point on the frame, where a solid tube leads to
the oil pressure gauge.

Check for leaks at the connections, and check the flexible portion of the
line carefully.  Battery leakage (if the tray is absent) can rot the
flexible line, and lead to failure.  Bad things follow as the engine loses
oil.

If the oil pan is still full per the dipstick, and there are no major leaks,
we need more information.  As Dan asked, how does the gauge respond when the
engine is cold?  Pressure good?  If so, it's probably not anything serious
with the motor.  It could be a blockage in the oil pressure sensing line or
the gauge itself.  There is virtually no flow in the sensing line, so I
think a line blockage is unlikely.  It could be a weakness in the oil
pressure relief valve in the oil pump discharge.  Since my early car's gauge
is electrical, so I have nothing better to offer than some possibilities.  I
hope you hear from others on the list.

Gary Ault