[Bricklin] Bricklin Mod Questions

John T. Blair jblair1948 at cox.net
Wed Mar 3 14:14:34 MST 2010

At 03:18 PM 3/3/2010, you wrote:

 >The horn, wipers, and radio don't work.

Erica,

You really should join the club.  We have done articles on the horn,  wipers,
and one on installing a better radio in past issues of the club's
magazine, "The
Brickline".

I've attached the article on trouble shooting the horn.

 >One of my doors has an air leak on the hydraulic that drains the
battery via the
 >compressor.

If you're car has the air doors, the there is NO hydraulics to the
doors.  The air
leak would cause the compressor to cycle draining your battery.  That's why you
should use the cut off swtich for the compressor (usually mounted on the cross
brase behind the bumper).

 > What kind of shop would you go to to fix it or buy parts needed?

I'll tell you what I tell most people, that is, "Go look in the
mirror".  That is the
only person that gives a damn about your car.   If you plan on having a shop
fix every little thing that goes wrong with the car, you'll go
broke.  You'll probably
want to learn to do some of the work yourself.  Like finding the air
leak and fixing
it.  That's a relatively simple job.

Do you have any tools?  You might want to read the article I wrote about tools,
"A Serious Look at Tools for the Automotive Hobbyist's Workshop",
http://www.team.net/www/morgan/tech/tools/part1/art017_1.html

Since you are in the Navy, you have access to the auto hobby shop.  They will
lend you a lot of the tool and provide some very nice ones, that you
can't afford,
like a lift.

As to a shop, you'll have to go to a lot of independant garages and
see if they
will work on the car.  Many will NOT, for several reasons, no
documentation, no
listed in their flat rate books so they don't know what to charge, etc.

But if you do find a shop that might work on the car, you've found something.
They will probably ask you for documentation on the various areas of the car,
like electrical, air system for the doors, etc.   Most of which I can help you
with.

You'll probably need wiring diags (which were never released by Bricklin.  I
have developed a 36 page package on the wiring I sell for $30, club members
get a $5 discount),

 >Is  a replacement possible?

For what, the entire air system?  Yes, it costs about $2,000.  However, you can
replace all the pieces without having to buy a new system.

 >What kind of set up do most people have for their battery? I have one deep
 >cycle battery that powers everything, someone told me to get a dry cell
 >battery. Has anyone tried to use a separate battery for their
compressor or a
 >"jump" battery?

The car originally had one standard wet cell, side mount, 12VDC battery that
powers everything.  I replaced my side mount with a top post
battery.  It makes
it easier to connect and remove the electrical connectors.

You're dry cell, is that one of the Optma batteries?  They are
usually very good
batterys, and expensive.

You only need 1 battery.  A jump box might not be a bad thing, but the problem
with the Bricklin is that if you have a dead battery, you can't get
to anything to
jump it.  You'll have to open the rear hatch, crawl in, and then jump
the battery.
A real pain with the side mount posts.

There is a remote control battery switch you can install.  I've
attached an article
I wrote about them.  That might be a very good idea for you, or find out what
is drawing down your battery.

If you go over to the auto hobby shop and talk to some of the people there, you
may find someone that is willing to help you.  The only problem with
this is they
may not really know what they are doing.

 >And how do I keep the thing from losing charge until I fix the
hydraulic (I say
 >hydraulic, but it is converted to air)?

Then say air. :)

You will need to find out what is drawing down the battery.  If it is
the  compressor cycling due to an air leak, use the compressor cut
off switch to
turn the compressor off when you are not driving it.  Then find your air leak
and fix it.

John
John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948 at cox.net
Va. Beach, Va