[Bricklin] Bricklin Mod Questions

JLC breton48 at live.com
Wed Mar 3 13:54:18 MST 2010

I believe there are more Bricklins in Southern California than anywhere
else!  Hopefully someone with a Bricklin in So Cal will respond to your
posting. There is a shop in Riverside which always seems to have at least
one or two worked on, I'll give you the contact information if you wish.
This shop was recommended by a local  (So Cal) Bricklin owner, and this is
where my Bricklin had a new air system installed.  A couple of vendors who
contribute to this list can supply the parts. If you are a member of the
Bricklin club, there is a lot of good information (vendors, technical
articles/tips, etc) on the Bricklin club website.

I ended up buying a gel cell battery for my Bricklin. One of the reasons I
got it is that there is no chance for acid to spill when you remove the
battery from the rather awkwardly placed battery compartment.

Unless the car has sentimental value to you, and/or money is no object,
watch out for the cost of repairs: My car also sat in a So Cal garage before
I acquired it, and I spent far more money in having it repaired than the car
will likely ever be worth. The car still has problems. If I had to do it all
again, I would take my time and do as much of the repair work myself.

I also had a problem with the battery charge leaking. My solution has been
to disconnect the battery, but there is something called a "Battery Brain",
an electric/electronic device which lets you disconnect (or reconnect) the
battery at the touch of a button (remote control). John T. Blair has written
an article about that. I have one which I have not installed yet, I will get
the details off the box if you wish.

JLC in Colorado

Erica wrote:
Hi, I am a new Bricklin owner in Southern CA. My '75 Brick sat for a while
before I got it and I am trying to get it nice again.

The horn, wipers, and radio don't work.

One of my doors has an air leak on the hydraulic that drains the
battery via the compressor. What kind of shop would you go to to fix it or
buy
parts needed? Is a replacement possible?

What
kind of set up do most people have for their battery? I have one deep
cycle battery that powers everything, someone told me to get a dry cell
battery. Has anyone tried to use a separate battery for their
compressor or a "jump" battery?

And how do I keep the thing from losing charge until I fix the hydraulic (I
say hydraulic, but it is converted to air)?

Where can I see another Bricklin?

Well anything you could share knowledge on is greatly appreciated!