[Bricklin] Idling question

Greg Schroeder gschroeder at comcast.net
Thu Jul 15 23:09:26 MDT 2010

I was thinking about going to a stainless braided line since I would like to
have something that is better than the standard rubber hose.  I checked the
temps of the gas line, carb and intake.  The carb was around 156.  The intake
was at 115   The gas line was around 120.  I actually have the gas line
resting on top of the PCV hose to the front of the carb.  I have a new
mechanical fuel pump from the engine rebuild.  I had reset the carb floats to
spec from the rebuild kit.

I still have the original charcoal caniste and a new gas cap.  There is a lot
of vacuum at the gas cap.  After driving for several hours coming back from
Lexington I walked behind the car and I could hear the air being sucked in
around the cap.  Should I be concerned with this?

I am starting to lean towards the vacuum advance. The distributor is one thing
I have not replaced since the engine rebuild. I reset the timing yesterday by
vacuum with the vacuum advance disconnected and the hose attached to a vacuum
gage.  I set the timing based on the most consistent vacuum instead of the
highest vacuum as I had done before.  The car starts quickly cold or hot and I
was able to idle with the AC on and in drive for over 3 minutes before the
slightest hiccup in the idle.  I have read several articles on the internet
about the vacuum advance and smooth idle.  Below is a list of vacuum advance
benefits.

          1) Improved idle cooling
          2) Improved idle quality
          3) Improved fuel economy
          4) Improved throttle response
          5) Improved drivability
          6) Enables improved spark knock control under full throttle
accelerations
          7) Enables leaner fuel jetting at light load to further improve fuel
economy.

Since I have not replaced this it could not be functioning at it's optimum
causing this issue.  Would this be going the wrong direction?

Greg 0036