[Bmcu] reminder: tour next Sat. 4/12

Gary Lindstrom gary at cs.utah.edu
Sun Apr 6 17:04:15 MDT 2008

Once Around the Lake Spring Run
April 12

It's tax time, secondary water is about to come on, the snow is gone for
the time being and it's spring on the Wasatch Front and time for our
first "Once Around the Lake Spring Run". Departure will be from two
locations, the State Capitol and Checker Auto in Kaysville. Both groups
will meet at Rainbow Gardens at the mouth of Ogden Canyon for a pit stop
and then continue on.

  * 10:00 am The Salt Lake and south group will gather north east of the
capitol overlooking City Creek Canyon at E. 500 N. and E. Capitol Blvd.
That group will take the surface roads up into Bountiful, Centerville,
Farmington and up to Old Hwy 89 to Harrison in Ogden and Rainbow Gardens
at the mouth of Ogden Canyon east of 12th St. and Harrison.

	*10:30 am Our northern group will meet at Checker Auto Parts in
Kaysville, 317 W. 200 N. just east of Wendy's. That group will travel
north on Hwy 89, to Harrison, to Ogden and Rainbow Gardens to join the
Salt Lake City group. From that meeting place we'll motor up the Canyon
to The Oaks for lunch. Teddy Roosevelt took this route with other
adventurous dignitaries on a motor excursion such as ours but the road
had not yet been paved. Pictures of the event are in the Ogden pictorial
archives. You'll feel the history of the area from your windshield at 30
mph.

 From The Oaks we'll drive up to Pineview Reservoir in the pastures of
the Ogden Valley to Eden, on to Liberty then up and over the North Ogden
Divide, enjoying the spectacular view of the Salt Lake Valley. Then it's
down from the Divide to Country Boy Dairy in North Ogden / Harrisville
for dessert treats.

This is a lovely and local route that is rural, where we and our cars
really want to be. No freeways here, just gentle touring in the British
way. Come bat around Ogden Valley and enjoy this delightful area for our
Spring Run. (Ed. note: Paul tells me "bat around" is a British term from
the 70's where you take your motorbike out and ride around the
countryside just for the sake of riding.)
-- Paul Jaroch