[Alpines] brake problem

Carl McLelland carlynneracing at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 31 21:16:50 MST 2008

If this was a case of 4 wheel disc brakes I would tell you to "pony up" for
new rear brake pads. Very common when the (disc brake pistons) are pushed way
out of the calipers they have a tendency to bind in the caliper rather than
retract the fraction of a millimeter they need to release pressure on the
rotor. This is especially common on small piston calipers like Girling 12SP
and 14LF.

I've been away from Alpines for five years now, but...... replace the hose in
the line to the rear axle/rear brakes. It's out of sight so out of mind and
ignored, but the rubber will deteriorate in that hose especially. It will
expand when brakes applied and when the brakes are released it holds a small
amount of pressure on the rear drum brakes. It doesn't take much pressure to
generate the drag described and only a few minutes for the pressure to bleed
off, but a seeming lifetime to diagnose and correct...

Happy New Year!!
    Carl
        (formerly Andy Walkers) S1,
        Lotus 61 Formula Ford