[Alpines] brake problem

Marc James Small marcsmall at comcast.net
Wed Dec 31 23:03:47 MST 2008

At 11:16 PM 12/31/2008, you wrote:
>If this was a case of 4 wheel disc brakes I
>would tell you to "pony up" for new rear brake
>pads. Very common when the (disc brake pistons)
>are pushed way out of the calipers they have a
>tendency to bind in the caliper rather than
>retract the fraction of a millimeter they need
>to release pressure on the rotor. This is
>especially common on small piston calipers like Girling 12SP and 14LF.
>
>I've been away from Alpines for five years now,
>but...... replace the hose in the line to the
>rear axle/rear brakes. It's out of sight so out
>of mind and ignored, but the rubber will
>deteriorate in that hose especially. It will
>expand when brakes applied and when the brakes
>are released it holds a small amount of pressure
>on the rear drum brakes. It doesn't take much
>pressure to generate the drag described and only
>a few minutes for the pressure to bleed off, but
>a seeming lifetime to diagnose and correct...

This message appears to me in a manner which I
cannot read.  I have a grave problem with
contrast, so dainty blues on a white background
give me little to work with.  Try DARK black on
white to make it legible.  Id love to answer you
but, well, I cannot.  Everything on the Net
really should be sent in a common format, very dark and very white.

Marc

msmall at aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b`s fir gun ghr`s fir!