[Alpines] brake problem

Marc James Small marcsmall at comcast.net
Wed Dec 31 16:49:27 MST 2008

At 06:37 PM 12/31/2008, #auri wrote:
 >I am not sure but I have a "feeling" that factory went back to manual
 >adjust because of some malfunctions which were something like descripted
 >earlier in this discussion.
 >
 >Sorry of my bad English, I have not automatic correction.

There were some problems with the automatic
adjusting brakes but they were pretty
reliable:  I have around 100,000 miles or so on
them and they never let me down.

The reason for the switch is the same reason the
Series V has a manual hand-crank nut on the
fan-belt pulley nut:  Rootes was using up what
was in the parts bin and trying to avoid having
to buy new stuff.  So, when they ran out of the
automatic adjusting brake parts, they just went
back to the earlier system, which in any event
was still in production.  Girling had sold off
the automatic adjusting brake system to Ford of
Germany in 1966 and had pulled it from production.

By the time the Series V entered the fray, Rootes
was bleeding to death from all that red ink the
Imp brought the company.  It was never properly
supported by a company very close to bankruptcy.

Marc

msmall at aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b`s fir gun ghr`s fir!