[6pack] More 6 work

Richard Lindsay richardolindsay at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 16:01:31 MST 2019

Hello friends,
   Yesterday and today were strong progress days at the shop. I applied 3mm
thick aluminum faced rubber to the TR6's  fiberboard gearbox cover,
completing it today. The two layer insulation will absorb noise and heat.
The passenger floor had a closed cell foam carpet pad installed, when this
picture was taken. Here's how it looks going in.

http://aubard.us/75_Triumph/20191203_140900.jpg

   Here's another look. The blue rectangle resting on the forward bulkhead
is just an errant piece of plastic film from the adhesive backing.

http://aubard.us/75_Triumph/20191203_140817.jpg

   Now with the driver's seat removed, the pan cleaned, and the driver's
side carpet pad installed, here's how the floor looked with the first bits
of carpet installed, if not glued down. The vertical panel and radio mount
is in place holding the carpet in place before I apply the cement. The
screwdriver is through one of the lower mounting holes, just for
alignment.The hole below the radio hole is for the courtesy light switch.

http://aubard.us/75_Triumph/20191203_122126.jpg

    Here's another look. The new shift knob is installed above the newly
positioned shifter gaiter.

http://aubard.us/75_Triumph/20191203_141015.jpg

   The vertical panel attaches at the top with two bolts. In the picture
one can see the bolts. When attached permanently, the bolts enter from the
back and are secured on the front either by hex nuts with black covers
(correct) or acorn nuts (easier).
   Left over rubber and aluminum insulation will be used under the seats
and foam pad is already installed on the rear deck and behind the seats.
The tunnel cover was repaired earlier. Like the gearbox cover, it too is
constructed from formed fiberboard but it had been damaged, probably by
someone stepping on it. After reshaping, it was upholstered with carpet and
an edge binding was applied on the front edge.
   The new radio arrived today. Its a shaft mount unit and is very simple.
Here's how it looks (seller's photos) ready to install.

http://aubard.us/75_Triumph/Radio_01.jpg

  And here's a similar look with the front bezel in place. The unit may be
installed as a DIN size or in this case, via shaft mount. As I wrote above,
the radio is simple and all that is needed in the TR6. An auxiliary input
jack is nice for connection to a phone. Better than cassettes anyway...but
I do like the period look of a cassette deck!

http://aubard.us/75_Triumph/Radio_02.jpg

   That's it for today. Tomorrow, I hope to cement down the tunnel carpet
and cut the new pieces. Or I may spend my time installing the radio and
finishing the wiring.

Rick