[6pack] Interior coming together

Richard Lindsay richardolindsay at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 06:35:43 MST 2019

Hello friends,

   I only got about 50% of my goals met yesterday. So today, I am setting
half as many! Let's see if that works - or if only 50% of those tasks get
done!

   Yesterday, while waiting for the garage door repair guys - who arrived
at my shop two hours late - I made good progress on the '75 TR6. Here's how
the work progressed.

   I wired the courtesy lights and repaired a broken ground (earth) on one
gauge light. I had neglected to include the ground's ring connector on the
gauge mounting stud. The LED courtesy lights, which are non-standard - will
mount high up on the kick panels and illuminate the footwells. They will be
switched by the door jam switches or manually by the switch below the
radio. More on that later. Yesterday I just pulled in the wires.

   I next reshaped the bonnet to correct a warp caused by ages of sitting
with the bonnet open, supported by only one bonnet stay. This reshaping is
also called 'bending', but that's such a harsh word. Still, the bonnet now
closes beautifully straight with equal seam gaps.

   At the risk of starting yet another sentence with ' I '...I next started
covering the fiberboard transmission cover with aluminum backed rubber heat
and acoustic insulation. That process went very well and I am pleased. I'll
share a work-in-progress picture later today.

   With most of the easy-to-reach transmission insulation in I stopped and
worked on the passenger side floor pan. The floors are getting a different
product, but with a similar main goal: insulation. The Al backed rubber
conforms to the underlying surface (mostly) whereas the 3/16" rubber foam I
am using on the floors 'smooths' the surface for a nicer overlying carpet
appearance. This closed cell foam is used in place of a conventional carpet
pad.

   Today I hope to finish applying the transmission cover insulation and
maybe cut the first pieces of carpet to cover that bit. Anyone who has made
custom carpets will knows that covering complex curves (surfaces that curve
in two dimensions) is really difficult. Today I will see if I can do that
acceptably well with this carpet product or if I will have to include a
seam with edge binding (or a glued butt joint with Gorilla tape on the
back). Read: experimentation.

   The kick panels (side bits down near one's ballet slippers) are carpeted
rather than covered with vinyl upholstery. I need to cut templates from
poster board then use them to cut thin substrate to support the carpet.
This work is all easy since the panels are flat, but it is time consuming.

   All this said, the work sounds long and laborious, and it is, but it is
also very rewarding as it comes together. I won't get too far today because
I am picky with the fit and finish, but I hope to make a good start.
Pictures to follow.

Rick