[6pack] electric fuel pump

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Thu Mar 10 13:04:16 MST 2011

Joe---Unless your engine is modified to use more fuel than the stock pump can provide, there won't be any performance benefits by going to an electric pump. Of course it's possible that your stock, mechanical pump is faulty. This can be checked by following the instructions in the Bentley Manual. (Pressure, volume).
If you decide to install an electric pump, most of them deliver more pressure than the carb (floats) can handle, so a pressure regulator must be installed after the pump. Somewhere between 1.5 and 3 psi works.

One advantage in removing the mechanical pump (and blanking off the opening) would be having better access to the oil filter canister.
Purolator makes a decent electric pump and regulator, priced around $40 each. Write back if you want more info on mounting, wiring, etc.

I kind of doubt the pump you now have is related to the symptoms you now describe.
When a pump is faulty, it usually fails to deliver enough at the higher rpms. I'd check the ignition timing at idle, and again as the rpm increases. Compare to the data.

Dick