[6pack] Electricial Issue

shewfamily at aol.com shewfamily at aol.com
Fri Jun 10 20:33:21 MDT 2011

I recently replaced the dimmer switch on my '74 TR6.  After replacing it, I
cranked the car to check to make sure it functioned properly. It did and so I
turned the switch off, reinstalled the seat and finished the installation.
When I tried to crank it again, nothing.  I had previously had what I thought
were issues with the switch when it refused to make the connection and send
juice to the starter.  I removed the electrical portion of the switch and
found that the contacts were pretty much destroyed.  I purchased a new switch
and installed it this afternoon.  When I turned the switch on, the red
ignition light came on, but the engine did not turn over.  I tried several
times and the ignition light came on every time, but no cranking.  I
reinstalled the rubber bumper (no easy task) and the seat figuring that
possibly my battery had been discharged.  I hooked up jumper cables and now
nothing happens - no red ignition light, no nothing.  I checked the connector
and it appears to be seated.  I checked the seating of the switch into the
housing and it appears to be properly seated.  When I disconnect my battery
and reconnect it, there is no spark upon reconnection.  It is like everything
is completely dead.

Anyone have any thoughts as to how I should go about trouble shooting and what
could be wrong.  I am missing valuable seat time.
John Shewmake
'74 TR6
Birmingham, Al