[6pack] Alternator Refit

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Fri Jun 10 12:59:41 MDT 2011

Sam---You should have three terminals on the Bosch alternator. #1, #2, and a stud marked "BAT". First, disconnect one of the car's battery cables before starting any of this.
The stud with the nut connects to a heavy brown wire in the car's alternator wiring harness. If you still have the original plug that is part of the Lucas alternator setup, fit a spade to the wire coming from the alternator and plug it in to connect with the heavy brown wire.
There are two of these heavy brown wires. The second of these connects to the #2 Bosch terminal. This number should be embossed on the Bosch casing.
The brown/yellow wire that's part of the original plug connects to #1 terminal, as shown on the Bosch.

To get the best "fan belt" alignment to the Bosch pulley, you'll probably have to remove about 5/16 inch from the alternator boss. You'll see where this material has to be removed, when you temporarily bolt it on. Being aluminum, it's easy to hacksaw it off, then square it off with a file.
I vaguely recall also having to make some sort of a bushing for where the long bolt goes thru, where it connects/pivots at the engine block. Not a big deal, but necessary to keep a nice belt alignment.
Then enjoy having a nice 14V+ on your voltmeter. And turn signals that blink when the engine is idling and the headlights are on!

Dick