[6pack] TR6 Engine Cutting Out

Silcock, Donald (GE Energy Services) don.silcock at ge.com
Thu Jun 9 17:58:43 MDT 2011

I just got my TR6 back on the road after a six months saga related to
the installation of a 5 speed Toyota gearbox....

The car is running well with the new gearbox and having the 5th gear is
really nice. I took it for a long run on Sunday up into the Blue
Mountains outside of Sydney, here in Australia, and everything was fine
except for a brief moment on the highway when the engine cut-out for a
few seconds and then ran normally for the rest of the day.

I assumed that was just a piece of dirt working its way through the fuel
system till yesterday when it happened again, but this time it died
completely.

I managed to get the car parked at the side of the road and, after
trying several times to restart the car, I decided to test the
efficiency of the NRMA premium  roadside assistance service I have been
paying for all these years. The guy turned up within about 30 minutes
and wanted to check the spark by holding the lead close to one of the
plugs - to my intense surprise the car started immediately and I was
able to drive it home.

I want to understand what is wrong as it would appear to be an
electrical fault, but I am not really sure where to start as the car has
electronic ignition.

Don