[6pack] TOO MUCH COMPRESSION?

John Mc john.mcmaster at netspeed.com.au
Mon Jul 5 01:36:26 MDT 2010

Just a general question to those who may know better than I.  I've just completed a port & polish & modified
the combustion chambers on my TR6 head and have calculated the compression as being close to 10:1 (bore 78,
stroke 95, Combustion chamber 39cc, Piston dome -6cc, head gasket bore 79.3, compressed gasket at 1.11 and
zero deck clearance). Given that this is a fairly hot street car, is this too much?  Are the modern fuels up
to it? I have the opportunity of fitting a second head gasket to reduce it down to about 9.1:1 but would like
some advice first?  Another related question, are there thicker head gaskets available for an overbored
(2.7litre) engine?  If so, I think that would be better than using 2 gaskets.  All opinions welcome.  Thanks.

John Mc
'71 TR6 PI
'76 Dolomite 1850
'76 Dolomite Sprint