[6pack] TOO MUCH COMPRESSION?

Ted Schumacher tedtsimx at bright.net
Mon Jul 5 16:58:33 MDT 2010

John, quick math shows you about 9.8.  You are right on the border of
too much.  Years ago this was not a problem. We would run 10.6 or higher
on cast pistons.  Problem is today's gas burn hotter so you have the
issue of increased pressure (compression ratio) and increased burn temp
on the piston head.  Not good.  I suggest you redo the calculations for
compression ratio to see what you really have. (CR=V1 + V2 divided by
V2). V1 is the volume of the cylinder. V2 is the volume of space above
the piston at tdc.  Make sure to include any dish in the piston and the
volume of the head gasket in V2. A simple fix is too have the piston
coated. Top coating is for heat and skirt coating for "slippery".  We
build a lot of engines and this is a very viable alternative. No need
for custom made gaskets, etc. Ted