[6pack] TR-6 rear suspension rattles

Al Salvatore tr6parts at charter.net
Mon Nov 30 11:02:03 MST 2009

The problem, I believe it's the front right pin that holds the differential
in place that cracks or breaks loose from the diff crossmember.

That happens over time with the regular shocks due to the torque stress from
acceleration.

You will have to drop the differential to see it.

This is inherent to the design.  If its mild the crack may only be visable
from the top of the frame.
To do a proper repair the body has to come off, or cut a hole in the rear
parcel shelf to get access to the top of the cross member.

The conversion shock will cause the differential cross bar to break loose at
the low point where it has a small weld connecting it to the frame,  as in
Bob's picture.

Once you have made the repair I would recommend boxing in the diff crossbar.

I still don't like the idea of bolting a support to the frame because now
the frame has to take the added stress.
No scientific info and there are many opinions on this.

Other Clunks can come from a bad rear hub, or the diff itself,  but thats
another book.

cheers,

Al
photos of diff crossbar streightening kit from TSI.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg107/6parts/74tr6/DSC01809.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg107/6parts/74tr6/DSC01811.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg107/6parts/74tr6/DSC01812.jpg

http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg107/6parts/74tr6/?start=120