[6pack] Problem.

Rick Patton patton at suscom-maine.net
Sat Jan 17 01:35:07 MST 2009

Hello Joe,

I thought it time for me to put in my two cents worth as I've been
mentioned several times in this thread. Many of you know I have been
making Triumph and other parts for a number of years. It's a very small
cottage industry type business that I operate part time without any
employees. It does throw off a little money from time to time and that
is usually just used to support my tool or LBC habit. One of the major
benefits is that it keeps me from watching TV all night.

Joe, you asked what is wrong with making your own parts? Absolutely
nothing and I realize it gives a sense of pride to have those parts on
your car. I get the same feeling at a car show when I see my parts on
somebody's pride and joy. That's how I started out, making parts for my
own TR6. Making parts for your car is to admired and I know that you
have made many.

What does piss me off is to find someone making nearly exact copies of
my parts and COMPETING against me.  It may not be politically correct to
admit, but it's the truth. It matters little if it's a List member or a
big company.

Tonight I finished up a batch of six TR6 trailing arm jig kits at a low
introductory price. They are finally ready to ship and after adding up
just materials and shipping It figures out to $9.66 an hour but that's
before any shop costs. No electricity, no tooling costs, no recovery for
the $14K CNC mill or the lathe, nothing for jig making, drawings,
programming, prototyping, etc.

Maybe  you've got a point Joe, I should let someone else make these
parts. Or better yet wait till someone else comes up with a design and
just copy them. Think of the time and money saved and I could sell them
cheaper. No that won't happen. Besides if we all sit around waiting
there won't be any new designs.

I can't speak for the other little guys but you can bet they take pride
in their designs and parts even if they choose to stay out of this fray.
In the meantime I'm going to continue looking for new and innovative
designs for these LBC's and there are a few new things coming soon. OK,
down of the soapbox.

So who's got some garage pictures?

Rick Patton
rick at pattonmachine.com