[6pack] Dizzy pedestal end float

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Fri May 30 12:51:25 MDT 2008

Stan---Ye, .040 would be a lot of shims. Here's another way to see if
this is what you need:

First, DO make sure that the dist. drive gear's slot has dropped into
the oil pump dog. If it hasn't, this could raise the drive gear up to
that .040 that it looks like you need to add. This is sometimes tricky
to get the two together!

If you're satisfied that the pump is mated to the drive gear, then go
ahead and add a stack of shims (or feeler gauge blades at the corners)
under the pedestal flange. Lightly bolt it down.
Reach down thru the pedestal bore with a finger, or a piece of 1/2 inch
hose,, and try to lift up the drive gear. If you can feel it try to
spiral up, then there are too many shims. Start removing shims until you
can barely feel movement. This is where you want it.

I think the .005 of clearance is safe. What we want it to be sure that
the gears are not jammed together. Also, we don't want so much clearance
that the gear is able to climb, when being driven by the cam gear..

To see how much purchase the (pinned) gear at the bottom of the
distributor shaft sets into the slot in the distributor drive gear,
paint the "key" with Dykem Blue, or even a felt marker. Over the miles,
it will wear off where contact is being made.

Dick

 From: stan.foster at hp.com(Foster, Stan)

I'm in the process of putting my newly rebuilt engine back together. The
motor has a new oil pump and cam and my project for this morning was to
re-install the distributor drive pedestal with the correct .005 end
float. Following the procedure in Bentley I come up with needing 40 thou
of shims to provide the 5 thou end float between the bottom of the
pedestal and the top of the drive dog.
On checking with Bob Lang who has been guiding me through this project
(thank you Bob) he says 40 thou of shims seems like a lot and he has
never used more than one or two. I think the dog is engaged in the oil
pump correctly so before I start pulling this apart I thought I would
ping this list to see if 40 thou really is abnormal. Since I started off
with 35 thou of pre-load I was able to measure between the pedestal and
the block and I can also get a feeler gauge between the bottom of the
pedestal and the top of the dog once the pedestal has been bolted down
with the shims so I believe I have corroborated the 40 thou three
different ways.
Stan