[6pack] Dizzy pedestal end float

Foster, Stan stan.foster at hp.com
Fri May 30 11:38:56 MDT 2008

I'm in the process of putting my newly rebuilt engine back together. The motor
has a new oil pump and cam and my project for this morning was to re-install
the distributor drive pedestal with the correct .005 end float. Following the
procedure in Bentley I come up with needing 40 thou of shims to provide the 5
thou end float between the bottom of the pedestal and the top of the drive
dog.

On checking with Bob Lang who has been guiding me through this project (thank
you Bob) he says 40 thou of shims seems like a lot and he has never used more
than one or two. I think the dog is engaged in the oil pump correctly so
before I start pulling this apart I thought I would ping this list to see if
40 thou really is abnormal. Since I started off with 35 thou of pre-load I was
able to measure between the pedestal and the block and I can also get a feeler
gauge between the bottom of the pedestal and the top of the dog once the
pedestal has been bolted down with the shims so I believe I have corroborated
the 40 thou three different ways.

Stan