[6pack] Electric fuel pump conversion

emanteno at comcast.net emanteno at comcast.net
Wed Jun 4 08:48:49 MDT 2008

From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster at hp.com>

> I have in my collection two pumps. One is a facet pump that delivers up to
> 3psi and is shaped like a cylinder with input and outputs at the two ends. The
> other pump is a solid state pump, much smaller than the facet and it also
> claims to deliver 2.5 to 3psi which is fine for the DCOE's. Both pumps can be
> mounted under the car exposed to weather etc. Both are designed for my
> application according to the documentation that came with them.
>
> My question is why would one choose one format over the other ?. Is the solid
> state version more reliable or quieter than the other ?. The mounting, power
> and fuel connections requirements don't look that different.

You'll want to check the capacity of the pumps, you need to make sure they can deliver enough gallons/hour. You need that in addition to the correct psi. You also need to be sure that the pumps are compatible with the oxygenated gas blends that are currently available.
I use the solid state Facet pump, with a regulator set to 2 psi. The identical pump is available from NAPA as well. It's relatively quiet, but the reason that I chose it was that it is compatible with gasoline/ethanol blends. I used to use a non electronic diaphragm style electric pump. It made a noticable thump thump thump as it was working, which gave me a heads up when it failed. Those failures became more frequent once the gasoline changed (1st pump lasted 10 years, last pump lasted 6 months). The electronic pump in the car now is 13 years old (and yes, I carry a spare).
I mounted my pump under the tank in the trunk, near where the home market PI pump went. No weather worries there. Got a fuel filter in there as well. I also routed the fuel lines along the right side of the car, as far away as possible from heat, and up into the engine bay.
HTH,
Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
Highland Park, IL