[6pack] Electric fuel pump conversion

Foster, Stan stan.foster at hp.com
Wed Jun 4 08:24:47 MDT 2008

As part of my Weber 3xDCOE installation I plan to convert to an electric fuel
pump. Others have told me that the standard mechanical pump will work although
starting up will be improved with the electric pump as it will fill the float
chambers before cranking the engine etc.

I have in my collection two pumps. One is a facet pump that delivers up to
3psi and is shaped like a cylinder with input and outputs at the two ends. The
other pump is a solid state pump, much smaller than the facet and it also
claims to deliver 2.5 to 3psi which is fine for the DCOE's. Both pumps can be
mounted under the car exposed to weather etc. Both are designed for my
application according to the documentation that came with them.

My question is why would one choose one format over the other ?. Is the solid
state version more reliable or quieter than the other ?. The mounting, power
and fuel connections requirements don't look that different.

Would also appreciate any info, especially pictures ! of pump mounting
locations and fuel line routing in the engine bay (should not be that
different for SU, Stromberg or Weber installations although with the Webers I
can feed them from the rear of the engine or from the front by configuring the
fuel connections on the carbs.

Thanks as always..

Stan