vtr

Re: Air Conditioning System for a GT6 MK1

To: vtr@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Air Conditioning System for a GT6 MK1
From: Bill Wood <triumph1@nr.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 21:51:28 -0700
Cc: Peter Atzpodien <Atze64@CompuServe.COM>
Sender: owner-vtr@Autox.Team.Net
Bill Sohl wrote:

> Can anyone help Peter?
>
> >Dear Sirs,
> >I'm currently restoring a Triumph GT6 Mk1, 1967. Due to the fact that the
>six-cylinder transpires a considerable amount of heat inside I came across the
>idea of fitting an air conditioning system to the car. A friend of mine told
>me that such a device is available in the US (I live in Germany) as an extra.
>Can you help me? Do you know a supplier who offers such such a system or do
>you know somebody who had the same idea?
> >
> >I should be very grateful for an answer. Many thanks for your efforts in
>advance.
> >
> >Peter       Atze64@compuserve.com
>
> I have no idea where to find such a unit.
>
> Bill Sohl
> ---------
>
> Cheers,
> Bill Sohl   Budd Lake, NJ   billsohl@planet.net
> ----

Peter,

My name is Bill Wood and I put a/c on my TR6 back in 1989.  There was a
company here in the states called ARA that made kits for British Leyland
to offer through dealers.  They made kits for the TR250, 6 and GT6.
Unfortunately they have gone out of business.  Any type of components
you find now will be from a salvage yard or Triumph enthusiast.
However,
these kits were sourced from American manufacturers, thus most all of
the
big pieces and parts are still available.  The brackets that work on at
TR6 engine will bolt up directly to a GT6.  The compressor is a York A-6
and the condenser is a common size available at any a/c shop, as are the
switches, tempature control and receiver/dryer.

The hard part is going to to find the plastic pieces and parts that fit
in the cabin.  They are going to be very hard to find.  If you are good
mechanically and can fabricate things, it would be easy enough to put
together.  The problem would be making it look as if it was meant to be
part of your car.

I wrote a pretty detailed article for the summer 1996 issue of 6-PACK
about fitting a/c to a TR6.  If you can get a copy of this magazine,
it would give you a good idea of what you are facing.  Feel free to post
me back with questions you may have.  I'll be glad to help in any way
that I can.

Bill Wood
Greensboro, N.C