vtr

Re: Air Conditioning System for a GT6 MK1

To: Bill Wood <triumph1@nr.infi.net>, vtr@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Air Conditioning System for a GT6 MK1
From: rgb@exact.com
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 22:30:49 1997
Cc: Peter Atzpodien <Atze64@CompuServe.COM>
Sender: owner-vtr@Autox.Team.Net
I live in Texas and have several TR6's as my only cars.  I spent
quite a few hours researching the OEM TR6 AC's before realizing
that the modern units are vastly superior to the 70's stuff.
I especially didn't like using R-12, large power hungry compressors,
and underdash add-on ductwork.

With this in mind and the fact that Vintage Air (old car/hot rod AC
experts) is only 70 miles from here, I decided to visit them, buy
some parts and fab it myself.  Without the folks at V.A., I'd never
have completed the project.  Not because they were positive, in fact
I took my recently restored TR6 minus radiator shroud and glovebox
to them for fitting...

Their words, quote "forget it, it will NEVER fit in a TR6, buy a truck".

With this in mind, I forged ahead.  The result was a neat installation
with NO cutting of sheetmetal and the utilization of the existing dash
hoses by replacing the heater unit with a fan/heater/AC unit.

As a point of record, I'm certified in Auto AC and have installed several
AC kits in Mazda RX-7's in a past life.

The underhood portion was installed and re-arranged 3 times prior to
getting it right, etc., etc., etc. don't even want to think of the
dollars and time I've got in the project.  The underdash was a mess,
this time I plan to build the case, so the connections are in the
correct place.  This kit uses all new parts, new freon R-134a and will
be complete.

I have promised to build 10 kits this year for folks that are already
interested, based on an updated version.  This one will be real nice,
my goal is a 4 hour installation and one trip to a recharge place.

I've also promised an article to the VTR once I'm finished...

With this as a basis, putting one in a TR250, TR4, or GT6 should be
fairly easy.  I wouldn't recommend anyone start from scratch or attempt
to adapt one from another car.  Even using new parts custom made for
the TR6 its been MUCH tougher than I ever imagined.  Of course its
104 degrees here and anything short of perfect won't cut it!

More later.

Roger