Re: Paddock refuelling fire

To: <MHKitchen@aol.com>, <malcox@earthlink.net>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Paddock refuelling fire
From: <carlynneracing@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 16:14:09 -0700
Myles, Malcom;
Double the WOW!! In all my years of flying I would never, Never have put a
fuel nozzle into an airplane tank without first grounding the airplane! Who
would ever have thought of such a thing happening with a car; especially a
race car.

For fueling the Lotus, I attach an electric fuel pump to my bulk storage
tank, have an aluminum nozzle that fits into the (rubber) fuel cell vent
hose, and 'pump' the fuel in through the vent. Pretty safe, so I thought...
no 'plastic' coming into contact with the car or fuel system.

Before I fuel again I'll be adding one more item. A ground strap from the
car to the pump and battery.

Thanks again; you may have well saved one of the "loves of my life!"
    Carl McLelland    #247    series 1 Sunbeam Alpine
                                            Lotus 61 formula Ford