Re: Paddock refuelling fire

To: malcox@earthlink.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Paddock refuelling fire
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:28:33 EDT
Malcolm:

WOW, that's most unusual.  I have certainly heard about the risks of filling
a plastic fuel container, especially if its sitting in a plastic bedliner in
the back of a pickup, but not at the track!   I use a plastic funnel and fuel
bottle all the time.

I would suppose a grounding strap between the fuel jug and the car would tend
to eliminate this.  Even though plastic is not a good conductor, it can build
up a static electric charge.  Draining it off by bring the container in
contact with the vehicle before you even open it is probably adviseable.
Maybe even just allow the container to rest in/on the vehicle for a few
seconds before opening and fueling could eliminate this risk?

Do you know anything about where this container was stored prior to fueling
the car?  Was it in a plastic pickup truck bedliner?  Was it in a trailer, or
stored on the ground?  That information could be important.

Regards,
Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus Cortina Mk1 #128