Re: Welding vs Torch

To: "vintage-race@autox.team.net" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Welding vs Torch
From: Kelley Mascher <mascherk@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 11:21:44 -0700
There is a short section in Carrol Smith's "Prepare to Win" on nickle-bronze
welding which the English appear to have used extensively in building tube
chassis. This isn't ordinary brass brazing. The braze filler is, as the name
implies, nickle-bronze and is has different characteristics.

I believe that you can nickle-bronze weld with a TIG welder. It would certainly
be worth researching. Once you know a little more about what was originally
used on your car you might want to ask about the process on
sci.engr.joining.welding  . You won't be able to weld with steel filler over
any area that has been brazed or nickle-bronze welded. The copper based filler
will have diffused into the steel in that area.

Cheers,

Kelley

At 09:13 PM 10/3/02 -0700, Mike and Shelley Ritz wrote:
>This list seems to have all the right experts, so I'll let'er rip:
>I'm in the process of restoring a 67 Zink FV frame that suffered some
>damage in a collision with another vee, and was destined to the junkyard
>before I saved it. I need to replace some of the tubes that were bent
>and have discovered that it might not be as easy as I'd hoped. Does
>anybody know if the Zink FV frames are chrome moly or plain steel? The
>frame is brazed together which makes it seem like chrome moly.
>Apparently, you cannot just start welding away on a chrome moly frame,
>but have to use either the original brazing or possibly TIG welding.
>Ideas or pitfalls? Which is better?
>
>Mike Ritz
>66 Barracuda GT
>67 Zink FV(to be)