Re: Welding vs Torch

To: micritz@mindspring.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Welding vs Torch
From: Rmvr53@aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 10:48:31 EDT
In a message dated 10/3/02 10:14:34 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
micritz@mindspring.com writes:

<< I need to replace some of the tubes that were bent
 and have discovered that it might not be as easy as I'd hoped. Does
 anybody know if the Zink FV frames are chrome moly or plain steel? The
 frame is brazed together which makes it seem like chrome moly. >>

<snip>

Mike, you could ask Harry Engle, Steve Lathrop or Ed himself and probably get
2 or 3 different answers.

I have a 68 Z-5 that per the shop that replaced my upper tubes/rollbar in 91
said it was chrome molly. I have been told since that not all the cars were
so constructed and those that were only at an additional cost (but slight
weight savings were gained). All my other Zinks are also brazed with the 66
Z-4 the only other chrome-molly chassis. As to mixing welding, if you are
going to re-attach at a prior welding joint you have to use a like metal to
the existing joint (brass to brass, etc). For all new joints, I would say
have at it with your choice of weapons, but I would also recommend that you
keep the car consistent (brass) for the sake of future repairs and knowing
what is where holding what on or to the chassis.

Butch, Mike, Paul... ya'll have worked on enough of these to throw wisdom in
here

Bill (F)
66 Zink Z-4 CSR
68 Zink Z-5 FV
69 Zink Z-8 BSR
73 Zink Z-10 FF
74 Zink Z-12 FV

to borrow a phrase...its a Zink thing.. you wouldn't understand...