Welding vs Torch

To: "vintage-race@autox.team.net" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Welding vs Torch
From: Mike and Shelley Ritz <micritz@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 21:13:04 -0700
This list seems to have all the right experts, so I'll let'er rip:
I'm in the process of restoring a 67 Zink FV frame that suffered some
damage in a collision with another vee, and was destined to the junkyard
before I saved it. I need to replace some of the tubes that were bent
and have discovered that it might not be as easy as I'd hoped. Does
anybody know if the Zink FV frames are chrome moly or plain steel? The
frame is brazed together which makes it seem like chrome moly.
Apparently, you cannot just start welding away on a chrome moly frame,
but have to use either the original brazing or possibly TIG welding.
Ideas or pitfalls? Which is better?

Mike Ritz
66 Barracuda GT
67 Zink FV(to be)