Re: British parts failure update

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net (Vintage list)
Subject: Re: British parts failure update
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 07:34:39 EST
In a message dated 11/24/00 10:57:17 AM Pacific Standard Time, JWoesvra
writes:

This whole thing started when I posted this message that came to me. I was
hoping that some of you would comment on it. I have no idea whether there is
anything to it, but I think it is an interesting subject, and hence worthy of
review. Some how we got into a fuss again about who knows what  "true vintage
racing" is.

Jack Woehrle

<<  My ex boss here in the USA (now retired) says the British had high
  tensile steel forgings that they either insisted on thru-hardening or
  lacked a good process of case hardening to retain a tough, malleable
  core.  Apparently when they've reached fatigue they break instead of bend.
  This was known here at the time he was involved with importation
  of engineless ACs for Shelby, which is why Phil Remington there
  specified US replacements for that car's spindles.  All cars receiving
  their engines over here had this done, sort of a preemptive recall
  campaign.  There was enough visual difference in the parts that some
  concours people have raised authenticity issues over the substitution.
  I think he said the originals were shipped back so probably only
  several carsets made the round trip for the whole of the production
  run!   I think Brian Lister dealt with a similar spindle problem.

  But, and this is dead serious --there is a potential epidemic of
  failure parts awaiting us, I fear.. There should be some test lab
  which can section apart any unfailed test part and then with Tinius
  Olsen tester verify if that is a potential root cause of potential
  failure in the whole class of parts -- the answer being to then
  commission a new run of CNC parts.  The alternative to CNC
  is to CAST replacements out of 17-3 Stainless casting alloy.
  That material, once simply heated to 1100 deg F. and air
  quenched is said to combine both 180,000 psi yield with
  good elongation (ductility) properties.  I am NOT the expert
  but can furnish two people to amplify this if desired -- the one
  I mentioned, and another a metallurgist specializing in stainless.

  Larry Gallo >>