Re: British parts failure update

To: Rogsie@telesistech.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British parts failure update
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:33:56 EST
In a message dated 11/28/00 6:20:29 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Rogsie@telesistech.com writes:

<< . Is it
 something common, similar in concept to the Alford & Aldor upright/ spindle
 that was used on Standard 10's and adopted into Spitfires and Lotus and damn
 near every small formula and sports racer from UK from the late 50 to 1970.
 I'm sure it is not that particular part but is this perhaps the larger TR
 parts or something off a Ford or large Austin? If memory serves me, the AC
 used a transverse leaf spring at each end. Are these Fiat Topolina parts like
 Cooper used? >>

I don't know the answer to that, Roger. I think the question is whether or
not some of these British parts were ever properly hardened or heat treated.
Are we seeing failures do to age problems? Does some of this steel or iron
have a life expectancy that we are exceeding. Is stress and constant flex
causing  problems that weren't seen when the parts were new? Is new old stock
damaged just by shelf life? Do we need to get new parts made? Can we use
something newer that functions the same? Who will do all of this? Should I
stop now?

You see the problem now I think. Can anyone give us the insight we are
seeking?

jw