Re: Mystery Vintage Race Car

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mystery Vintage Race Car
From: "Bob Schmitt" <bob.schmitt@sainthood.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 07:52:21 -0800
Hi to all -

Thanks to all who sent tips on this "mystery car.  Just a few days after I
sent the first note, we heard from Frazer Nash Mille Miglia owner Frank
Twaits:

"I think the body is the remains of the Tobin BMW (328) Special, built in
the late 40's or early 50's and raced in under 2 liter Modified.

I met a man in the late 80's who owned it at one time. He sold it to a
German buyer who had the body removed and      shipped the chassis to
Germany. All this happened in the Long Island, NY area.

I remember seeing an article, with picture, in a book back in the 50's. The
book, more like a thick magazine, was titled,     "Sports Car Specials"-or
something close to that. Maybe published by Fawcett (Mechanix Illustrated)

This may be a false start, but at least a possible lead."  Frank's email :
Eastcoastfn@cs.com

The "mystery car is at:  http://www.FrazerNash-USA.com/mystery-car.htm

Bob

Subject: Mystery Vintage Race Car