Re: horsepower

To: vintage race net <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: horsepower
From: Craig Wright <craig@productdesigngroup.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 15:59:22 -0800
I had my street 427 tested and broken in on an engine dyno. It put out 420 hp.
Two months later I measured 310 hp at the rear wheels, a 26% change. I did gain
10 hp back by jetting the carb for the in car conditions. The differences were,
in part caused by:

Mufflers
Different headers
Transmission, drive shaft, differential, tire rolling resistance etc.
Engine inlet temperature.

The last one has an effect on some cars, and can result in 2-4% lost hp. While
sitting stationary on the dyno, there is no air coming through the hood scoop.
Consequently the carb is sucking engine compartment air (at least, in my car).
This air has been heated by the radiator and is significantly hotter than
ambient.

Next time I use an engine dyno, I'll be more careful to use the headers and
mufflers that will actually be on the car.

Craig Wright