Re: horsepower

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: horsepower
From: Derek Harling <derek.lola@home.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 14:09:39 -0500
I would suspect that the truth is somewhere between your respective answers - in
other words the total loss is partially depended on hp/torque transmitted and
partially independent. No doubt it is also dependent on speed.

The losses occur because of  metal bending, mainly in the gear teeth, which I
suspect is very dependent on torque transmitted, on oil shearing (dependent on
torque and speed?), oil churning (speed?) - and other things.

Lets hear it from a gearing/transmisison expert.

Derek

S800Racer@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/13/00 9:16:09 AM, brian@uunet.ca writes:
>
> << How about 15% loss for a Hewland( rear wheel drive, all straight cut
> gears), up to 20% loss for typical rear wheel drive helical trans, >>
>
>     I've often heard the 15 - 20 % "rule of thumb".  Is this true regardless
> of HP?  If a 100hp vehicle lost 25hp, would a 500hp vehicle lose 125hp?
> Wouldn't it take roughly the same # of HP to drive similar Trans & rear end
> gears regardless of the HP of the engine?
>
>     Doug Meis
>
>     P.S.  Would a hand count necessarily yield a better result?  ;-)

    I dunno - you'll have to ask the countess!