Re: Lime Rock Labor Day etc

To: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Lime Rock Labor Day etc
From: Joseph_Chimbolo@hyperion.com
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:46:22 -0400

A few short remarks.

It is interesting that when the Fall Festival was in its infancy people recall
more spectators, larger numbers of cars and more diverse cars of true vintage
heritage.  The only difference is that back then, the clubs like VSCCA more or
less ran the show.  Now the tracks are trying create the excitement and
atmosphere, which doesn't seem to be working as well.

Nothing against HSR, but I like older cars.  If I want to see all those
Posrches, I can go one of the many PCA events at LRP.  If I want to see a NASCAR
Lumina, I'll go to the Busch race in October, which I plan to do.  It is just
not often that I can see Vintage F1 or F2 cars, 50's 60's, and other Pre War
cars at LRP.

Lastly, Peter Krause made a slight error regard the Bob Kilpatrick MGB at LRP.
He portrayed it as a GT3 SCCA car.  I helped Bob to set up the car on Friday at
LRP.  The car was not in any way flared.  I spent last winter repainting the car
and can tell you there are no flares.  Some Bondo, but no flares.  He also ran
the car with a stock steel front valence.  The tires were in no way low profile
slicks.  They are Goodyear Blue Streaks from SASCO which I call the "snow
tires".  Secondly they have extra grooves cut to use as rain tires because there
is no budget for official rain tires.  The car has about 2 tons of rollcage in
it as well.  He has been driving around LRP a long time.  He can tell you
stories about Skip Barber and Peter Revson on up through the year 2000.  He wins
by driving well.  He doesn't need slicks and aerodynamics to hustle a car around
LRP.  And he always excites the crowd and puts on a great show.