Re: TR-3A - correct camber ??

To: John Cowan <jfcowan@pacbell.net>, vintage-race@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: TR-3A - correct camber ??
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 15:24:39 -0400
Kind of depends what you're going to do with it, and what tires you'll
run.  Positive camber used to be very common when bias ply street tires
were the norm - it induced very dependable final understeer (wherein you
get to see what you're about to hit), which is always safer for street cars
- you can correct by simply letting off the throttle, which is the normal
unskilled reaction.  If this is to be a street car on bias ply tires, why
not stay with what was stock?  if you're going to have a street car on
radials, I'd go for zero camber as you've been advised.  If this is to be a
race car on modern bias ply racing tires, I'd start with 1.5 deg.
negative.  If modern performance radials and racing, maybe up to 2.5 deg
negative.

  Brian

At 01:17 PM 09/05/2000 -0400, John Cowan wrote:
>      My '60 TR-3A is in a body shop to have the frame straightened and two
>cracks welded.   Both the frame guy and my mechanic say the static laden
>camber for the front wheels should be set to 0 degrees.
>       However, I found a note in the shop manual indicating that static
>laden camber should be 2 degrees positive.  It also says the camber at full
>bump will be 1/2 degree and at full droop, 1 degree.
>        I find the manual info to be puzzling and at odds with my limited
>understanding of suspension geometry, so I'm inclined to go with the advice
>I have been given.
>       Does anyone have any thoughts on this problem?
>Thanks.
>        John Cowan
>
>      Forward this review to a friend.  To subscribe, send email to:
>jfcowan@pacbell.net.  Check out previous reviews at:
>http://home.pacbell.net/jfcowan

Brian Evans
Director, Strategic Accounts