Re: Lime Rock Fall Festival

To: "Jack Rubin" <jrubin@interaccess.com>, <S800Racer@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Lime Rock Fall Festival
From: "John Lehman" <JELehman@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 15:21:44 -0500
Greetings all,

I just have to chime in here.  As one who wants to vintage race, I agree
with keeping the sport safe and courteous for those of us who have a great
deal of time and resources involved in our cars.  What gets me is that we,
the competitors, take all the risk while making money for the promoters or
tracks at these events, yet see the entry fees rise constantly.  If the
tracks can make money with these events, why don't they give some of it back
to the racers in the form of lower entry fees or an extra day of track time.
Lord knows, they don't have to post purses--if they did I wouldn't come--so
they should be able to make it at least more affordable for the guys who put
on the show.

In thinking about Mid-Ohio/SVRA last year there were about 350 cars @ $300 a
piece, that's $105K for SVRA, they have to pay track rental of about $18K
(is that per day or per weekend?), plus staff and expenses, so I know SVRA
doesn't make all that much.  The track gets 100% of the gate.  There's no
way of knowing how much the track makes.  They get the camping fees, too.

I drive a '68 GT6 so am excluded from the VCDA events, or so I am led to
understand, so maybe the argument is moot on my part, at least as it
pertains to Lime Rock.

But I feel better having vented, thank you very much

John Lehman
'68 Triumph GT6

.