What's happened to VARA?

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: What's happened to VARA?
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 11:48:42 EST
To all the Left Coasters....

After receiving my VARA newsletter and reviewing the schedule for next year,
it looks most disappointing.  Admittedly, I can only make it to a few VARA
events being I'm in Northern CA, but it looks like ALL of their signature
events are gone??? (Tustin, Pomona, Palm Springs, L.A., Willow Springs).
Frankly, I don't find the drive to Phoenix to be worth the trip from here
(sorry, but just my opinion having tried it once).  Buttonwillow is OK once a
year, but there's NOTHING around there for the SO to do (i.e. shopping,
touring, etc).  Vegas might be fun, but that's a long tow as well, which
means it requires more days before and after.  And, I'd probably only do it
once in a season, if at all.

I must say I"ve always had a great time at VARA's events, and certainly got
my money's worth.  VARA always seemed to be a well-run organization.

So, what's happened?  I'm aware of the spin off of HSR West, and the falling
out that VARA had with the management at WIllow Springs, but I thought this
was being repaired?  Can anyone shed any light on what's going on with VARA?
Its a shame to see such a once well-run and major force in West Coast vintage
racing lose all of its most popular venues?  Did all the events leave with
Cris????  I hope not.....

I'm curious to hear the opinions....

Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus (staying up North in 2000?) Cortina Mk1 #128