Re: Race Gas vs. Av Gas??

To: MHKitchen@aol.com
Subject: Re: Race Gas vs. Av Gas??
From: Gregory_Schulz@mil-elect-tool.com
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 11:01:50 -0600

Myles -
Octane has been a gray area for some people (me included). Octane calculations
from the 'pre-no lead' era were different from subsequent formulas such as R+M/2
(if that's even a correct example). How Av gas octane is calculated is unknown
to me.

I read an article years ago in a collector car publication that stated "octane
is octane". The information for the article had been provided by a well known
petroleum company. For example: if you mixed 5 gal. of 93 octane un-leaded with
5 gal. of 104 octane leaded you ended up with 10 gals. of 98.5 octane. (That
sounds too simple!) The bonus was that while the lead concentration was
lessened, there was still far more lead than what was needed to protect the
valve seats in high performance 'muscle car' engines, and you gained the octane
advantage.

I've been running 112 leaded in my 11:1 (948) A-Series race engine this year. I
think I read in David Vizard's book on the subject that most A-series race
engines could get by with 106 octane or so (unless you're running very high
compressions, i.e., 13:1 and up). I bet my engine would work fine with even 103.

Which raises a question I've been wondering about all season: Can you actually
lose a degree of performance by using a fuel with "too much" octane?

Greg.

MHKitchen@aol.com on 11/10/99 10:46:48 PM

Please respond to MHKitchen@aol.com