Race Gas vs. Av Gas??

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Race Gas vs. Av Gas??
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 23:46:48 EST
Since we're on the subject of gas.....

I've had to use 110 octane leaded CAM2 or Sunoco race gas in the twin cam
with its 13.5 :1 compression ratio.  But it does get expensive!!

I was convinced to try Aviation Gas this summer up in Seattle, which seemed
to work fine...no detonation or performance issues.  And it was 50% or less
of the cost of race gas.

Recently, I tried to buy more Av gas here in CA, but found a) that no one
would sell it to me in a jug...would only dispense it into a plane, and b)  I
find that they now only sell "low lead" Av gas with an octane rating of 100.

I've heard that the "low lead" Av gas @ 100 octane is REALLY equivalent to a
higher octane automotive fuel, which I'd tend to believe since it worked so
well.

Does anyone out there have any definitive answers on using Av gas in race
engines?  I hear stories pro and con about it.  I would tend to agree that Av
gas comes under higher scrutiny and quality control than race gas..but is
there a downside?

Inquiring minds want to know???

Myles H. Kitchen
Air Cortina Pilot
1965 Lotus (about to rotate) Cortina Mk1 #128