RE: How about NO rules?

To: "'VEENET@aol.com'" <VEENET@aol.com>, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: How about NO rules?
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 23:40:12 -0500

Jerry Burr wrote:

> I'm curious,
> What does everyone think would happen if there were No rules?

A fascinating concept, but I don't think it would turn out the way you seem
to suspect. Having no rules is called "anarchy". Having rules but not
enforcing them is called "NASCAR". Failing to have enforceable rules against
repeated metal-to-metal contact is called the "SCCA".

> Does everyone really think that most people would be running off the track

> and crashing into everybody all the time?Do you think the only reason most

> drivers don't go wild and do really stupid things is because there are
rules
> or sanctions?Do you think that most drivers don't care if they wreck their

> cars?

Not "most drivers", but there are clearly a few who do "really stupid
things" because they're actually "really stupid". Or lacking in ability. Or
way over their heads. There are also some who can easily afford the cost of
body work on a regular basis. Without rules, the stupid, the untalented and
the wealthy would drive all the rest of us out of vintage racing in short
order.

Jim Hill
Madison WI