Re: LUCAS STARTER PROBLEMS

To: Terry Green <tmgreen@fwb.gulf.net>
Subject: Re: LUCAS STARTER PROBLEMS
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 15:55:29 -0400
Hint:  buy two spare solenoids for the Japanese starter.  I've found that
the integral solenoid can fail even when almost new from the vibration of
the engine.  Some last longer than others, but I've had them fail after two
race sessions.  They're sealed units, so you can't even open them up and
attempt to fix them.  Now that I carry spares I'm hoping that the solenoid
on the car will realize that failure is irrelevant, and just keep
working.  So far so good....

Brian (who firmly believes that racecars are sentient, and sometimes just
don't want to play...)

At 09:00 AM 09/23/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>Last week i posted some of the problems that i was having with my lucas
>starter on my RP31 FF. I have solved the problems, I got a micro starter
>from "BAT" inc down in south Fl. This is like a small superstarter, very
>nice small and light weight   .Here is another problem that i ran
>across.  I change my adapter plate from a hewland to titan. The titan
>has three holes for starter, a two bolt starter will bolt up. But it is
>rotated down about half and inch, and i ran into clearance problems wthe
>the lucas bendex hitting the lower control arm attachment point, the
>titan plate is nice and looks much stronger than the hewland,
>
>thanks for all the replys that i got from you"ll ..
>
>Terry Green
>Royal rp31 FF/CF (old not vintage)

Brian Evans
Director, Global Sales