RE: [Fwd: Reflections on a racing incident] boundary

To: vintage race net <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [Fwd: Reflections on a racing incident] boundary
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 16:58:17 -0500
Craig Wright wrote:

> This thread reminds me of the speech airline flight attendants give before
> take off. Every airline says exactly the same thing as dictated by the
FAA.
> Those of us who fly often would probably have no disagreement on safety
> procedures in case of an accident. Repetition and constancy leads to
strong
> habits. Sanctioning bodies should emulate the airlines and reiterate the
> basic flag rules at EVERY meeting.

The problem is that after about your third flight, you think you know it all
and you stop listening to what the flight attendant says. A lot of race
drivers feel the same way about driver's meetings - they tune out during the
parts they think they've already heard (or they skip the meeting
altogether).

And the fact is that the racing rules are NOT always the same (and neither
are the safety features of all airplanes the same, for that matter). It pays
to listen even if you THINK you know what's coming . . .

Jim Hill
Madison WI